Sunday, December 3, 2017

Weather Dance!

Last week I taught Jana Shumway's lesson on weather to my Kindergartners. I love this lesson Jana teaches since it's so interactive and musically driven. The lesson goes through different types of weathers and has the students dance in the quality that best matches. For sun I show'd the students a picture of  a sunny day and then we danced circular and sustained movements to a happy uplifting song. For tornado I showed them a picture and then we danced fast spinning dynamic movements with the "Flight of the Bumblebees" song which was perfect for the movement and weather. I love that each weather had a specialized song that helped create the atmosphere of each and also helped the students better dance the matching qualities. It just shows how important music can be and how it can really help our students produce the type of movement we're asking of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment